World Map United States / English
Sign In or Register Now
Location Icon
_blank _blank _blank _blank _blank

MachineFinder News

Kansas, Nebraska strike agreement over vehicle license requirements for farmers

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Farmers in Kansas and Nebraska don't have to worry about having commercial licenses.
Farmers in Kansas and Nebraska don't have to worry about having commercial licenses.

An agreement between two states will make it easier for those who operate farm equipment in that area of the country to move around.

Farmers in Kansas and Nebraska will not need a commercial driver's license when operating trucks over state lines. Though each had their own separate rules making it so farmers do not need a commercial license to operate vehicles within the states, the new agreement extends that across their borders.

Susan Duffy, executive director of the Kansas Corporation Commission, said the agreement is "good news" for farmers who operate in the states.

"I'm pleased we were able to negotiate this agreement with Nebraska to ease interstate transportation of farm goods," Duffy said.

There are a number of provisions in the agreement that farmers should pay attention to in order to stay compliant. Farmers from either state can drive a vehicle with a regular license provided that the mode of transportation is considered a farm vehicle by both states. Also, the vehicle applies to the agreement if it is used solely for moving agriculturally related items, such as farm equipment or supplies.

Given federal laws, other states are wrangling with the fact that farmers may have to start complying with commercial truck regulations, which could make it more difficult for them to engage in farm-related work.

News Categories
Featured Machines
Machine Photo

698 hrs, $108,000 US


Machine Photo

11000 hrs, $46,900 US

Arcadia, WI